Breaking News

MOONLIGHT STORIES: THE KING'S HEIR

                                         THE KING'S HEIR

Grandpa! Grandpa!! Grandpa!!! Come tell us a story the children chorused as they gathered around me, they were all my grandchildren who had come to visit their old Grandpa with their parents, they had just finished eating dinner, as they rushed under the mango tree where I normally sat to enjoy the cool evening breeze.
     Hmm!! I cleared my throat, Story! Story!! The title of my story is the "King's Heir". I waited to look at the children with their pleading innocent face screaming continue. They started to murmur among themselves which slowly generated to louder noise. "Order" I barked and everybody went silent, if I hear pimm "I threatened" that would be the end of the story. Don't blame me am a retired Police Officer.
     Once upon a time, I started" in the village of Afamata, the ruling King was very sick, old and feeble and sent for his heir who had been taken away from home at birth as it was the tradition of the people. The King messengers went to the distant village where the King heir was staying. Knock! Knock!! Knock!!! As they knock on the door of the Prince.
Yes am coming replied a voice from inside, as he stepped outside, the messengers quickly went on their knees, Prince the most senior messenger started" the King is very old and feeble and he give messages that it's time for you to ascend the throne of your Fathers, he concluded.
     Hearing all this the boy frown and said " hey you are mistaken, am not the Prince , the Prince went to hunt for lions. Are you not Obiora? " they asked. I am Obiora an orphan although I bear the same name and of thesonme age with the Prince my very good friend" he replied.
     The messengers didn't believe him as they half dragged, half carried a protesting Obiora to the palace. When the King saw him he exclaimed "Ha! Obiora my son, welcome! How was the journey? He asked without waiting for an answer rushed to hug a very confused looking Obiora, the Chief chipped in their greetings one after the other and one remarked he looked the spitting image of the King. Obiora quickly went to his knees to explain how the mistake has been made as he was not the Prince only an orphan who stayed with the Prince who had gone to the forest to hunt lions" he said as he pleaded his case. No you are wrong said the king" my son the Oracle had confirmed that anybody brought forward to me by the messengers handpicked by the chief priest himself is my real son, so whosoever put the motion of you been an orphan into your head is a big lair.
     One of the high Chief sitting in a corner of the room stood up addressed the king and suggested the King  was consulted once more for clarification, as it was a taboo and doom if a stranger rules the land. Excellent idea Chief Lucky" said the King as he sends a messenger to go Consult the Oracle and tell the Chief priest of his predicament. The messenger rushed back out of breath and said the Oracle was affirmative.
     Obiora was persuaded to undergo all the necessary ceremony as he couldn't dissuade them, he accepted faith and made up his mind to seek his friend the real heir, as he ascends the throne.
     After one month, on the outset of a new moon, admist jubilation and merriment Obiora was crowned the King.
     At this point I notice some of the little kids already dozing off, wit some of the bigger ones already nodding their head. I called out to their mothers who where sitting close by also listening to the story to come put them to bed, as i promised to continue the story the next day....

No comments